Sunday, January 20, 2008

Cookie Experiment

Have you ever gone digging in your freezer and found something that made you cringe and turn right around to dump it in the garbage? Me too. Today though, I went in looking for chocolate chips. Two batches of blueberry mufins and a loaf of cherry walnut bread apparently isn't enough baking for me. Cookies sounded good too. It's not all for us....mostly for a friend who is about to have a baby. Anyhoo, I found a few chocolate chips. But I also found a bag of cookies and another of chocolate covered coffee beans.

The cookies were a pleasant surprise. No duh, right? Right...but even better, these are from the Smiling Pelican bakery in Maiden Rock, WI. Last summer I met friends there before going to pick blueberries. I bought a dozen of their amazing cookies, cut them into quarters, froze half of them, and it turns out, completely forgot about them! I will not be baking cookies today.

But the discovery of chocolate covered coffee beans from Mocha Mom's wedding (I think) got me thinking of a cookie expeirment. First though, how long can something like this be in the freezer before it's wise to throw them out? 6 months? A year? 5 years? So, will it work to replace chocolate chips with the coffee beans? Should I chop the beans first? Should I make a chocolate cookie and put one bean on the top of it? Should I throw them out and just make chocolate chip cookies?

No comments: