Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bouncing like a super ball....boing boing boing

Who needs coffee when you're on prednisone?!

I left work early yesterday for an off-site meeting that didn't take as long as I thought so I headed home early. A-Mo suggest tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner so FiG and I stopped at the grocery store. It would have been easier to buy a couple of cans of Campbells but why go for the convenience of it when you're sick with bronchitis and have a tired toddler in tow who needs to be entertained for longer than normal on a weeknight? No.....make soup did I. It tasted better, was healthier, used what we already had in the house, and made leftovers. The panini-esque grilled cheese on ciabatta wasn't bad either.

After FiG was in bed we watched Frontline on PBS. If you didn't catch it last night, it's worth viewing online. It was their election year documentary of the presidential candidates and it was really good. Whether or not you're set on who'll vote for, it's a good show and the two hours with no commercials flys by. Then we watched the Jon Stewart Show and the Colbert Report. This of course was followed by discussion about the election, the economy, our job stability, and so on. About midnight we headed to bed. I was peacefully comfortable, concentrating on my breathing, and making a list of a thousand good ideas in my head when FiG woke up at about 1:30. As I stepped into the hallway I smelled burning plastic. Sometimes I smell things that no one else around me can smell, but I figured FiG could cry for another minute while I checked it out. Every step closer to the kitchen intensified the smell. I opened the dishwasher and a puff of acrid white smoke came out. Exhaust vent on. FiG tended to. A-Mo woken up. FiG back in bed. Fan in window. Open other windows. Find plastic wheel from lower rack melted to heating coil. Pick bits of melted plastic out of filer with tweezers. Find owners manual. Have snack. Bundle up in fleece (because it was 48 degrees and we were sucking the outside air in) and wait for smell to go away. It was about 3:30 before I fell asleep.

I may not be baking cakes at 4am like my aunt does when she's on prednisone, but it's only day 2 of my 7-day treatment and occasional manic behavior is in my gene pool. Wheeee....this is fun!

1 comment:

E said...

You with bronchitis, and I with pneumonia! Wish I could have had that soup!